Sunday 16 March 2014

Chicken squash.

I believe that a chicken has a brain the size of a pea - my chicky has a brain the size of a proton!
Today she managed to get into the 5 inch gap between the shed and the factory wall.
Having become ridiculously house-proud about the state of the yard now that the tat and tarpaulins of two old goats has gone, I was sweeping by the shed prior to getting down to gardening proper - I am aware that I always spend some time going off at some strange tangent before starting the gardening task that I've gone out to do - this may be age related!
I heard her, couldn't see her and then squinted down the gap and.........
How on earth could I get her out?
The only implement long enough to reach her was the line prop - 8ft, wooden and heavy.
I bodged the end into a car sponge and pushed her backwards as far as possible - not far enough!
After gardening proper for a while, giving time to think, I found a length of plastic tubing, much lighter and about a foot longer than the line prop, so that I could I could manoeuvre it with one arm, and that wedged between the shed and the wall.
I managed to push her backwards, into the foot wide space between the shed end and other wall - I had attempted to squash myself through this space to get nearer to her, but decided that two of us wedged between shed and wall would merely result in two emaciated corpses being found......eventually.

I did loads of gardening, had a big bonfire then came in for a soak in the bath before cooking a steak for dinner and watching a recording of "Endeavour" - the young Morse, which was very good.

I've made my bed with the sheets that have dried on the line this afternoon and smell wonderful..
Simple pleasures. 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having animals allways give new experiences;-)

Gill said...


Like having children, but less emotional attachment.
If I'm ever missing, do look down the back of the shed before calling the police.
m

William said...

I saw Young Morse here last week and thought it was good too. Missing a it of "Lewis!"