Sunday 22 September 2013

Indian summer.

It was mentioned a couple of weeks ago, but the weather had turned so cold & wet it seemed highly unlikely, but it's arrived!
Yesterday was a beautiful day with the promise of even warmer weather to come.
The day didn't go according to plan, apart from dressing in gardening clothes - it was much later than intended - payback for staying up until the early hours.
I went to Coles hill for petrol for the mower, to take a coat to the cleaners & buy parsnips for dinner.
I forgot the coat!
then for the little mower - I tried, Steve tried, but it would have none of it!
Rob came round later with a big bag of beautiful cherry tomatoes - absolutely delicious - he tried.
Anyone have any ideas for a failing little mountfield motor mower?
I accepted that I would have to brave the hedges on the ride-on - mow close to the trees & hedges, which aggravates swarms of flying insects & requires a seating position never intended  - rather like a motor cycle racer on a sharp bend - thrown to one side, away from the spiky bits & thorns.
I put the chicken in the oven then dashed back out to finish the job - looks good this morning.
The lawns, like the chickens, know that I love them & are responding well - 2 eggs a day & vibrant lawns for them to play on!

Preparing dinner (& myself) was a rush, but went well - brill roast potatoes, parsnips & carrots & a bottle of pink champagne arrived, which complimented it all beautifully.

Another day in the garden today, after church, & a friend's dog to walk this afternoon.
Perhaps I'll have time to make cakes for church if I get going now.   

No comments: