Saturday 5 July 2008

Henley Royal Regatta


"Dress code: men, status, women, expensive" I removed my hat at lunch (black straw)


Henley, with "oiks"


A gondola


This one went to Dunkirk.


A hen party, with thighs!

And........a race boat


That took care of yesterday, & was fantastic. Very "English" & gentile, overall.
I saw more boats yesterday than I have seen in the rest of my life, I think.

We left home early to avoid the traffic for Warwick races & Silverstone, arriving at Hambledon locks by 9.20am, having driven through lovely Oxfordshire countryside.
We boarded the Princess Marina along with five other couples & then cruised up & down the Thames for the remainder of the day, being extremely well fed, looked after & informed by a great chef & a very knowledgeable crew.
We munched our way through:
Coffee/ champagne/ bucks fizz, with brownies.
Champagne & canapes.
Lunch - beef, salad with scrummy new breads
Local cheeses.
Coffee & truffles
Afternoon tea

The sun shone all day & we arrived back just after 5.00pm tanned & relaxed.
We called in briefly at B & E's on the way home to leave a disposable camera for Tim to use at the carnival, tomorrow.

William has just phoned with the even more fantastic news that young M minor has just arrived, "with much puffing & pushing"
Not yet weighed, but k & DK are well.
Well done. Brilliant! Fantastic! The only call during the Ladies finals at Wimbledon!
W says that he has hands like his, but his face is still squashed & only resembles Winston Churchill at the moment.

Henley can't compete with that, but I'll put some photos on anyway.

5 comments:

william said...

You beat me with the announcement of Daniel but the regatta looks great - I would love to go to it but probably won't. Did they sing the song?
wrm

Anonymous said...

I was blogging/watching Wimbledon when W phoned.
Henley really was good - I'm sure that you could fit it in with a visit - book a launch. You could take the family - lots of web sites.
I think that it's the Eton boat song.
The music was played by The Grenadier Guards throughout the day, from Gershwin to Elgar.
g

Anonymous said...

Great photos G - you and Dad both look lovely.
Have a nice time in Denmark - give them all our love.
Px

Anonymous said...

I think that should be genteel, gentile has rather different conotations. We certainly were not into checking for for surplus genital skin!

Anonymous said...

I notice a ceratin subtle amendment to the names on the blog!Is thso a concession to DK convention or 'family'disapproval?
Suffer no guilt, it is the first or 2nd question everyone asks.