Thursday 20 June 2013

Three men went to mow....

Or, in this case, one woman.
Hurrah, I have mown the lawns - not all of them, but the main one & it looks good.
This was not without incident - I started at 14.00 & finished at 22.15!
Firstly, I could not find the padlock key - eventually phoned B & found in 2 seconds.
First circuit without blades, second circuit with blades but not picking up grass.
Third circuit likewise.
Rob heard the mower & came to see if I was coping. Result, blades cease to work.
Eventually phoned JA - elderly farmer/mower technician who looks after the mower.
After an hour he went to fetch me one of his mowers & took mine away.
He gave me instruction & waited until I'd mown a strip. AOK.
Mower worked wonderfully, but I had to stop at 19.30 for a mtg here, at which point I had just emptied it at the top of the field & couldn't get it to start. Bother.
After the mtg, about 21.30, Chris came with me & started it - I had it on a slope - clever technique to empty & roll forward to leave grass behind, but mower has to be flat to start.
I'd just finished  at 22.15 when it ran out of fuel. Bother again.
It remains, under the tarpaulin, secured, on the top lawn.
I'm meeting a friend for coffee 7 shall buy fuel, then finish off the remaining lawns/field before going out to dinner for 19.30 in Solihull - that's the plan anyway.
I am so pleased that I can make the lawns look good as I really want to keep the garden looking good in G's absence.
I have put in new plants (mainly Morrisons 2 for £3 perennials, which are amazing.
I just have to cope with climbing a ladder to tame the wisteria & I am self sufficient, well, almost, with a bit of help.
Good day here, better than forecast.
Should I brave the Lotus?

No comments: