Monday 7 September 2009

First day of term - for the staff anyway.

A few pupils did attend, apparently, but were sent home.
I did wonder what happened to the lad from Coleshill School who was sitting on the curb at the end of Hollylands this morning as I'm sure that Coleshill was a training day today as well.
I suppose that he went home eventually.
It was a good day.
A meeting in the Hall, with the Head outlining the GCSE results - poor, only 31% with
5, A - C grades, including English & maths - & action to be taken to avoid dire consequences on the OFSTED front.
The poor results were largely due to poor English results following staffing problems.

He welcomed the new staff & me & I got a rousing cheer from all of the staff, which was heartwarming & quite unexpected.
I attended the necessary meetings, picked the brains of everyone in the maths dept that I could corner & caught up with friends.
Money for old rope!
I have to teach Pythagoras, fractions, data dealing & bearings to different year groups.
I shall hope to learn a good deal whilst preparing for the latter one as I never have a clue to my bearings.

Yesterday T & I went on our long awaited trip on The Shakespeare Express steam train from Stratford to B'ham, Snow Hill, return.
B brought T to the station & waited to see the train arrive. We had part of our picnic lunch whilst we waited to depart.
It was very relaxing, enabling T to ask questions for 3 hours, unhindered, of me in the main, but all of the railway staff were included.
T clipped the tickets, had an "Engine Drivers hat" & found that the trains live at Tysley.
He was excellent company all day & promised to show me how he makes prawn sandwiches - rather better than the Granny/M&S effort, I gather.
I took T home, had a long cuddle with KP & tea before driving home & falling asleep.

I have checked the old lottery tickets & find that we won £10 on 8 Aug.
Unfortunately we did not win the euro millions with G's impulse-buy ticket, but apparently no-one else did either.

Tomorrow looks like a quiet day as lessons 1 & 2 are with tutors; I am not one (Thank you God)as Wil, who I am covering, has other duties.
I'll check up on Pythagoras & keep a low profile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

curbing your enthusiasm or should that be kerbing?

William said...

Pythags Thumb as my friend Andy called it.
31% sounds really crap - do they need some consultants in to turn it around?

Anonymous said...

Just sufficient dedicated teachers, I think.
It's the maths & english being included that has blown it.
Some excellent results in other subjects.