Tuesday 18 May 2010

Who gave me this rotten cold?

Yesterday morning I suddenly had a cold.
I tried to tell myself that it was hayfever due to the gardening on Sunday & the fact that we are surrounded by smelly rape crops, but I knew better really.
I had a runny nose all night & woke at least once every hour to check on the time, so felt even worse this morning.
I went into school because
1.I had only one lesson left with my year 9 class before their exam tomorrow.
2.I never have time off.
3.I am paid on a daily rate.
Anyway, lunch was brought forward by an hour to accommodate the RE GCSE exam, so by 12.15pm I had only a support lesson to do, so came home to suffer in comfort.
The gasman cometh to give a quote for a new super duper efficient boiler, presently with a subsidy which DC & GO haven't had time to cancel yet.
This will save us £30 - £400 pounds a year, so will give us the determination to get the payback.
The present boiler is 16 years old - that's 112 in dog years - so will have problems when parts fail.
The new one is tiny-a good job that it will be attached to the wall or we could lose it!

The sun has come out & it's a very pleasant day - school finishes any minute now, so I will no longer be skiving. (that spelling looks odd & it doesn't recognise "cometh". Rubbish!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turns out the payback is about 10 years at current prices! Reliability and the likelyhood of increasing fuel prices over time seems a better motivation. Also spend it while you have got it to spend has a place. It will be better to have the work done during our blistering summer (ho ho. A fair few more quid in the money pit!! G

Anonymous said...

We just had a quote of £12000 to connect to the local district heating. My guess is that payback is about 20 years!!!

Get well soon mum

W

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
Can you beat them down?
Better still, set MK on them.
Our chap remembered a £200 discount to get the deal.
m

Anonymous said...

Go passive;insulate,insulate,
insulate and triple the glazing to minimise heating costs.