Tuesday 26 January 2010

Recovery Day!

I have done no housework whatsoever since Sunday, & I wouldn't mention it even if I had, following W's rather harsh words.
I will scintillate with a list of bicycles that I have owned/ own - have your Valium to hand!
Well, aj & I were bought blue Raleigh bikes, distinguishable only by their different bells, as a reward for passing our 11+ exam, sometime in the last century. I will be vague about the exact date to preserve the vagueness over the age gap between aj & me.
Dad & Percy (old retainer in the family firm) taught us to ride them by pushing us up & down the road, then Percy took us on bike rides around the lanes.
I think that I may have been a slow learner.
I had a Dawes folding bike for a birthday present when we lived in Knowle, sometime between 1974 & 78.
I loved that bike & had coveted one for a while beforehand.
I believe that wrm gave it to Liz, his girlfriend at the time, when he found her a flat locally, so that she could cycle into school.
I had a bright green racing bike, bought second hand from the paper, for a short time. I could not cope with cycling with my head down, unable to see where I was going; I think it was a bit too small as well.
It was sold to Val Woolmore, I believe.
My fourth bike was built by Maurice Wiggins at his new bike workshop in the village, in the mid 80's. I chose the bits, which included a maroon frame, large comfy saddle & a basket.
This was loaned to various people over the years, eventually being given to a colleague at school 3/4 years ago.
Presently I have a sky blue Raleigh, which I love although I don't ride it enough, partly because it hangs on a rack in the garage behind two childrens' bikes & G's bike, in close proximity to the car.
Before I had this bike G made me ride an old one of his.
It hated me, the feeling was mutual. It was never mine.
That's it - five bikes, with no overlap, plus a brief social history.
My trainer log may be less interesting.

Britain is in recovery. This coincides with my return to work so perhaps I have played my part.
I think that this may be short-lived due to the weather this quarter & Gordon, even with my efforts.

Were you aware that the Earth has slowed down by 8 thousands of a second in the last 40 years due to the mass of water in reservoirs in the Northern hemisphere?
I have finished work for this week - a lie in tomorrow & perhaps a little light shopping followed by dinner in Burton with KS leadership team 1993 - 2002.
Enjoy your day.

12 comments:

William said...

"Were you aware that the Earth has slowed down by 8 thousands of a second in the last 40 years due to the mass of water in reservoirs in the Northern hemisphere?"

Something interesting at last ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you W.
Did you not find my "bike history" interesting?
m

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, another perfectly good blog ruined by talk of bikes!!
E

Anonymous said...

It's a bit tongue in cheek or whatever the equivalent cycling term may be:
foot in pedal
head in helmet
chamois in ?
g

Anonymous said...

Cheek perhaps.

Anonymous said...

The excitement never ends in my job. Was in the twilight zone amongst the geriatric outpatients at Bridlington hospital enquiring about sales at the WRVS shop, when the van delivering chocies etc to the shop was raided outside the front doors. The day went even slower after that. aj

Anonymous said...

Why did you raid it?
Was it Cadbury employees staging a resue mission?

Anonymous said...

thanks g
wrm

Anonymous said...

Only of historical interest - a mere detail about bike turnover.
Who cares now anyway.
g

Anonymous said...

What about the bike that you had in York 69-72? had you forgotten that one?

Anonymous said...

Who or what are you talking about -
Conquest or machine?

Anonymous said...

I didn't have a bike in York did I?
I didn't have anywhere to keep one.
aj had Mum's.
W missed out G's folding bike, left chained to the railings in S Kensington.