Sunday 17 May 2009

Christian Aid all home & dry.








Yesterday was T's birthday party, with about 30 little friends, family & a disco.
Beat that!
We planned the cake - a train - but took it in kit form to assemble in the kitchen for fear that it could "come off the rails" en route.
We spent an hour in Bicester (it has a good bike shop),before going to the party.
P, A & family came - Jessie was very shy whereas Thomas was a real party animal in a individual sort of way. i.e. he played & danced entirely on his own. He enjoyed the tea, with sisterly support.
T was excited & enjoyed himself in a quiet way; KP was busy with Grandma & cousin E.
All went very well.
We popped into Bicester Village on the way home - nothing of interest, then, on impulse, stopped at the George in the Tree in Balsall Common for a steak on the way home.
We slept very well, perhaps due to eating early, sharing just one glass of wine or just relaxing after the party.

This morning I had a lie in, reading my very long Wilbur Smith (Quest), dashed to church, bought a paper & milk then came home for breakfast of boiled eggs & soldiers.
We read the papers for a while, had a nap & then I spent 3 hours "on the knock", collecting the remaining (nearly all, that is )Christian Aid envelopes.
I always dread Christian Aid week, it always rains heavily - high winds as well today - & worry about how little we are going to net. When it comes to it, a lot of the locals know me & it's really nice to have a chat & catch up.
Nev is 80 & still giving music lessons - he always speaks fondly of B, who cried when he threatened him with no more lessons, because he didn't practise enough.

We are watching "Come dine with me" from Liverpool, before I make avocado & a chicken stir fry for dinner.
I suggested this morning that we gave up alcohol for a week. I may be changing my mind.

Tomorrow, I may be teaching.

5 comments:

William said...

When did they start selling papers, bread a milk in the church?
Did you get our mugs in Bicester?

Anonymous said...

Fantastic train, I'm very impressed, I'm not going to show it to J as he will want one as well.
Glad to hear all had a good party.
MK

Anonymous said...

They've been doing certificates and bread and wine for a while! Bicester is full of mugs.

Anonymous said...

In 2030 AD, alongside the pigeons & goats, for sacrifice, smart arse!
Yes.

We'll have a J celebration cake next time you're here.

Bicester is actually full of charity shops - I spotted a new one on Saturday, on the square.
g

Anonymous said...

It was a fabulous cake! And these four and five year olds really know how to dance!
E