Wednesday 25 February 2015

Roy Orbison days.."....

Home again, on the better side of eye surgery - yesterday was "pirate day", today " Roy Orbison" day.
I am now minus eye patch and shades, sitting with my face in a support with viewing hole, to keep it inclined and still for 50 minutes per hour to ensure that the retina will reattach.
B did all the ferrying yesterday, took me home with him last night and took me for the check up back at Walsgrave, early this morning.
I was certain that God would waft me through the whole procedure with nothing to worrying about, I wasn't sure how.
As it was, I went into the department shortly after noon yesterday, filled in the forms and then had anaesthetic and dilating drops in my eye.
These sent me to sleep for the next three and a half hours, waking only when called to see a nurse, have more drops......
I was woken me to go to the theatre, had some warm blankets over me, as I'm always cold, then had my lens replaced, then the hole in the retina mended -all very high tech and amazing, explained by the surgeon, in a lovely gentle Maltese accent.
(T and KP - operated on by a Malteser!)
An hour and a half later I was wheeled out, eye patch in place, for a very welcome cup of tea with B, who had arrived after work to take me home for tea and an early night.
I did manage to sleep on my front until 2.18am, but can sleep on my side, so opted for a change until getting up time.
Eye patch off, drops in, shades on and back to Walshgrave for a check up - all excellent.
The consultant was pleased and explained the op and my habit of watching all of the tools instead of keeping my eyes still to B.
Home and dry and now feeling a bit peckish so I will use my ten minutes of activity to make some lunch. 
Aj arriving soon

An accolade for the NHS - this problem was picked up two weeks ago today.
I could not have better, more professional and friendly treatment, and all done within two weeks, prescriptions explained and desktop portal, enabling me to do this in comfort, on loan.

By the way - Mr Hero, my consultant, and. Walter, his Italian (Italian, with a lovely left ear) informed me that glasses were invented in Italy in the thirteenth century.
Not Chinese then!

No comments: