Wednesday 17 July 2013

How many scorchers make a summer?

This weather is amazing!
Hot, hot & hotter - tennis cancelled as too hot for the older ladies, which gave me more time to garden.
Tennis is kinder on the nails.
I have mown the lawns this afternoon - I use the term "lawns2 lightly, as they are vast areas of undulating grass & clover this year.
Clover seems to have displaced the moss, which may be good. at least the moss was green & didn't have a mass of white flowers to give away the fact that it wasn't actually grass.
I raised the blade over the higher areas & have got used to the rough ride - like riding a mule, I guess.
It's quite good fun apart from emptying the box which necessitates dismounting & manually lifting the box off, due to a modification to the lever that once did this whilst remaining seated.
I suppose G wanted more of a challenge.
Anyway, I am pleased with the results & plan to trim the edges & tidy the borders tomorrow, in leiu of tennis, then sit back & admire my handiwork.
The brochures for these mowers show a woman in white trousers, smiling as she glides round a well manicured lawn. How come I am jolted around an assault course, ending up covered with dust & grass cuttings, having dismounted a number of times to unblock the tunnel between cutter & box & manually removed the box & re-fitted it about 10 times.
I have to shower & scrub myself clean.

A successful family service yesterday, followed by the official opening of the church toilet - I did use it before taking the evening service & found it satisfactory!
The church was open all day in between, serving cream teas, so I was up before 6.00am to make 6 dozen scones & whip cream.
Hartleys jam is not a patch on M&S or Waitrose - no flavour.
How do they manage that?

Coffee this morning for a couple of hours with a couple of friends - head/deputy from school, combined with a little shopping.

I am up at this ridiculous hour due to banging downstairs, so waiting to be accosted by a burglar or two.
No-one has yet accosted me so I guess it was the house groaning due to the unaccustomed high temperatures.
That's a relief  as the only weapon I have is my tongue!

No comments: