Sunday 14 September 2008

Holy Cross day.





Yesterday we had a lie in & then boiled eggs for brunch before setting off for Jessie's fancy dress birthday party, me on my broomstick, G following in the car, with the presents & a remarkabley pink cake.
The kids all looked wonderful, especially Jessie, as "Stephanie"
The sun shone & everyone enjoyed themselves.

We shopped briefly in Coleshill on the way home & dined on Carluccio's olives(a gift from B & E), ciabatta, salad, red wine & fruit.
Beat that for healthy eating!
G spent the evening setting up a blog for his Karma Enduro rally.
This took a mere seven hours; we went to bed at 2.00am.
I hope to put a link to this blog, for interested parties. You have probably guessed that I have no idea how to do this.........yet.

Church this morning, hence I know that it is Holy Cross Days. I was cross because the whole congregation was squashed into the choir stalls.
Why?
Steven Record preached an excellent sermon, the Hadron collider vs the power of God.(I hope that I got that right)
The sun was shining by midday so we went out for a drive to find a nice place for lunch.
We found ourselves in Kenilworth at "The Cross", where we had a marvellous, indulgent meal, & then did the castle, making use of our English Heritage membership.
A new addition is an Elizabethan garden, which was an archeological dig site last summer, now well on the way to completion.

We came home for tea, I then ventured out with my blackberrying paraphanalia, picking 5 or 6lb which I took to Margaret & Phil (good for his bowels!)
G joined me on his funny bike, & we picked about as many again, then picked up litter on the way home.
We now have a whole freezer drawer full of bags of blackberries.
I use this joy of hunter gathering to try to persuade G of the pleasure we could have if we grew some soft fruit in our large, fruitless garden.

We have watched Charlie Boorman (an apt name) on his self indulgent travels across Europe on trains, boats & planes, etc.
We may eat some more olives, later.

3 comments:

Gill said...

It is not fruitless - just ungatherered. Blackberries, apples of various types, cherries and of course the dreaded Damsons. We even managed the odd mulberry this year! Quite why is this a problem?
GBN

Anonymous said...

Because I want to grow raspberries, gooseberries, red & black currants!
The birds eat the few cherries, we buy apples as the trees are so old & no one will eat the damsons - you cannot give them away.
This year, apparently, there is a poor crop, so perhaps they will be in demand.
g

Anonymous said...

PS. I would also like a vegetable garden.
g