Thursday 3 April 2008

The gas man cameth....again

No blog yesterday as it was the most uneventful/boring day I can remember.
The gas man was due to come between the hours of 9.00am & 1.00pm.
I did things*, like ironing & tidying for an hour & then went on t'internet to make the final selection of a holiday cottage, armed with the "AA book of Britain's coastline", to check out destinations
British Gas phoned just after 1.00pm to make their weekly enquiry as to why we have changed suppliers.
I explained that it was to ensure that I had a weekly phone call from them, having been ignored for the previous 20+ years, that the new supplier was cheaper & could they find out where the gas man was who should have visited before 1.00pm.
I was offered a phone number.
The gas man did arrive at about 1.30pm,gave me an overview of his daily habits, including the fact that he had not woken up until 9.30am.
I gave tea & sympathy (effects of changing the clocks/global warming on the older man) & he found the motorised valve that was sticking & gave us back the power to control the boiler.
This was one of the two valves that was such a mystery to the gas man on Tuesday.
It was nearly 3.00pm by the time this little adventure concluded, it was a cold, grey day, so I returned to the lap top to complete the cottage selection & do battle again with the "Good Housekeeping" site,which refuses to acknowledge my subscription number (written by the address on the postage sheet.
I filled in all of the boxes in triplicate to highlight this problem & eventually received an e-mail giving my subscription number.
This bears no relationship to any number anywhere on anything! Please explain.
I haven't yet attempted to use this number, it may be a joke!

I had scrambled eggs on Oatmeal, a banana & sauvignon blanc for tea as G was out.
Hardly foie gras, but very enjoyable.

I am going to the gym now.
I have prepared a casserole for dinner & was going to clean the outside of the downstairs windows before I went, but my new chamois leather has migrated from the laundry, I suspect that it is in the garage, but am fast losing the incentive to care, despite it's initial cost.
(All of this before 9.00am - I could handle a full-time job)
Have a great day!

*A display at the Viking Museum in Roskilde explained that the Vikings called their meetings "Things" & had various heirarchies of "things".
This gave credibility to a wonderfully useful word, much used by my mother, Auntie Norah &, increasingly, by me.

13 comments:

William said...

Now what did I come in here for?
Oh yes, a thing

Anonymous said...

You liked the "thing poster".
m

Anonymous said...

2 motorised valves as a result of the system being put in when the range was still there- with a gravity fed radiator in the bathroom.

Ben (Lead Boiler Engineer!)

Anonymous said...

I don't like motorized valves that is why my system did not include any!
wrm (original system designer and installer)

Anonymous said...

Do motorised valves need an MOT ?

Anonymous said...

No MOT required- just anticipate their failure every 10 years or so.

Anonymous said...

no you just keep buying new ones!
wrm

Anonymous said...

Blimey (as MK would say)
I now know how to get comments - just mention your boiler.
Butco put in the "new" boiler 15 years ago with new valves.
Have just got through a bottle of chardonay in a very short time, with a single portion of fish & chips between us, so a bit past my best.
m/g

Anonymous said...

is there a prejudiced quasi- technician in the house?

Anonymous said...

Did someone mention boilers?

Anonymous said...

nothing but trouble these motorised valves - I can hardly sleep at night for worrying about them!

Anonymous said...

Is this blog is from and aging boiler?

Anonymous said...

13 comments on an ageing boiler.
Blimey.
Whatever lights your pilot, I suppose.
g