Thursday 1 November 2007

Two days at Shardelows for elevenses.






I think that I have achieved two "firsts" since Monday:
On Wed am, I drove to see cousin JR in Cambs, then on to Frinton, where JR spent his summer holidays when a lad.
Frinton is very gentile, a hot-spot for the over 80s, with one main street, Connaught Ave, leading to the sea.
We walked along Connaught Ave, had lunch in "The Lock & Barrel", pottered, then returned to the car, to find a parking ticket.
One of the few able bodied people in Frinton & I had managed to park in a well camouflaged "Disabled" space. Bother!
We drove on to Walton, & walked along the pier & the front.
Walton could win prizes for its potholes.

Today we went to "The Dog & Duck" for lunch (Presently having the roof re-thatched) then on to Saffron Walden for a walk round its very pretty lanes.

I left at 4.00pm in order to collect G from B'ham airport at 6.30pm.
The journey generally takes about 1hr 45min.
Today I had to add 1hr, for an overturned car on the M11 near Cambridge + 15 min for a tailback at the Catthorpe interchange.
G came home in a taxi; I arrived at 7.00pm!

I claim to be the first person to get a parking ticket in Frinton, indeed, possibly the only car in Frinton without a "Disabled "badge & not entitled to park in that space!
I claim to have made the slowest journey ever between Horseheath & Hollylands!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was that really slow time- when a rock shattered Grandad's windscreen and he had to punch a hole..... that was a bad one

Anonymous said...

Frinton is sounding more appealling; the parking attendent had probably been waiting for years to find a car which had been left and was not still inhabited by sandwich eating, thermos supping incumbents. Strange really when you're usually nicked for speeding ! jen

Anonymous said...

I suspect you mean Frinton is genteel not dominated by thjise others than the children of Israel! Spellcheck slave!!

Anonymous said...

Well spotted, slave.
I use this word much more frequently, but had a glow of pleasure, using "genteel".
Spellcheck liked it, of course!