Monday 27 October 2014

On this day in 1995.......

Latvia applied for membership of the EU
A great day for Latvia.
To celebrate the day I've just played three sets of tennis, wearing sweatbands in the Latvian colours.
I'm about to do the ironing that seems to have been mounting up for the last couple of weeks whilst I've had better things to do, then go to Coleshill to put up "Clothes Shwap" posters, then prepare dinner in preparation for a visit from no 2 son.

I've spent the last three days seeing JR finally put to rest - his ashes buried in his parents' grave on Friday.
"I should be in my box" was one of his much used phrases in later years - I suspect that he anticipated a rather larger box at the outset, but the grave only had space for a small casket, hence the cremation.
K and I spent the remainder of the time emptying drawers and cupboards  to sort out the family papers and photos to bring home, material of local interest, for the local historical society and a pile of memorabilia for The Leys School in Cambridge.
I doubt that many 90 year olds still have their school cap, scarf, boater, OCT uniform, school magazines, reports, accounts and even the letter sent to parents in 1939 outlining the details of the evacuation of the school to a hotel in Pitlochry.
As it was, the family came here for the duration of the war and lived with his maternal grandparents (my grandparents, as well).
It was during that time that JR worked on local farms, enjoyed it  and so the family bought Shardelows farm at the end of the war.
That era is now at an end.
The valuation of  farm and contents, for probate, is being done today - impressed by the cleanliness of the house, apparently.

We have patronised The Linton Kitchen for coffee and cake/sandwiches on many occasions and had a couple of dinners at The Dog and Duck, also in Linton, both highly recommended and a welcome break from all of the sadness and hard work entailed.
No more older relatives left so hopefully those are skills that I shan't need again.

York tomorrow to deliver a bed to J and J, making room for a new double bed for what was my bedroom as a teenager and will become my cosy winter bedroom.
Should I cover the lovely oak floorboards with a fitted carpet, to make it even cosier?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"cover lovely oak boards" what can I say?