Saturday 18 May 2013

Summer?

Possibly, as this is day 2 without a ground frost. One drawback of retirement is that you don't look forward to weekends in the same way as when the other five days were pretty well tied up. Today I had planned to bite the bullet & play tennis - going alone to fit in with a formed group, admittedly a very friendly & welcoming group, but ...... I had forgotten that we have the Parish Plan training day at Hockley Heath, so tennis defered for another week. Perhaps it will be interesting. The reasons for needing new leadership for the plan is all very political - NIMBYism. It's research & paperwork - not my forte at all & I have no intention of leading it. I had a good shopping experience in Knowle & Solihull yesterday, including coffee & pastry in Pret, for breakfast. Home for a very late lunch & back to Meriden, where there was a bargain brass fender, which we bought for £15, which G has cut down & cleaned, & looks great in the dining room. We have been looking for one for years, on & off. I spent over two hours in the evening, collecting CA envelopes - never as bad as I think as I get to chat with a lot of really nice people. This year far more than usual refused to give, perhaps a reflection of the economic situation or people being more selective about what they give to. I need to pick some lily of the valley to make the house smell nice, before I go out. The bluebells did a sterling job last week, but you have to have the old english, not the cultivated ones, to enjoy the fragrance - the delicate, bendy ones.

No comments: