Tuesday 13 November 2012

Bother.

Today has had it's highs & it's lows.
After an early start, a lie in & a bath, we did the DT crossword (easy), then I wrote an account of our Holy land trip for the parish Magazine, The tidings.
G typed it up in the correct format & sent it off, whilst I went shopping, via Coleshill.
I collected G's prescription from the doctors, they had my blood test results & a cancellation at 2.50pm, so I did an economic drive to Ventura Park (45 miles to empty), shopped at M&S, had a large skinny, decaf cappuccino, courtesy of aj's premier club tokens - still 4 to us by 15 Nov - filled the tank at JS, then went back to the doctors.
I went in feeling young & fit - I was told that my cholesterol level was 6.9 (high), having risen gradually from 4.7 in 2001!  HDL is 1.7, not good enough to cancel out the bad?
This, combined with my BP, Mum's demise at 59 with a coronary thrombosis, my weight (73kg), gave me a heart age of 71!!!  CVD risk in 10 yrs, 17%.
We agreed that I was not going to take statins at the moment (be it on my own head), but would have another test at the end of January to see if it would go down with diet & exercise.
Any advice?

A little light relief - "Flog It" (recorded this pm, as usual, to watch later) came from Coventry, with the auction sale at Bigwoods in Stratford - the sale that G & I went to, when some of our things were sold,
We featured quite widely, me wearing a rather eye-catching sugar-bag pink gillet.
There was even a full screen close up of me, smiling.
Of course, this was before I knew how old my heart was.

An enormous hornet did a few circles of the lounge, having stowed away in the log basket.
Scary.
It went outside again, trapped in a coffee cup. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's worse than mine! I have cut out eating anything that I like to see if that helps. CEng

Anonymous said...

What is yours?
Are you on ststins?
Did you tell me/had I forgotten?
I eat really healthily most of the time, little fat & paleo diet for 2 months prior to test - no bread = no butter!
m

Anonymous said...

You feel a lot better if you stay away from doctors ! not that they'd be giving you statins in Yorkshire, unless they got them free. Up here we try burning off the extra calories by not having the heating on, and standing out in the cold at bus stops in the hope that one day a bus will stop at the timetabled time and not just pass by with a "Sorry not in service" sign.

Anonymous said...

Don't believe in doctors and cholesterol levels. Basicly the cholesterol level that doctors can meassure don't give any indication on your actual health status. See WM for details.
MKM

William said...

http://robbwolf.com/2009/10/29/cholesterol-we-are-dumb/

I wouldn't worry about it. Apparently what is important is cholesterol partical size anyway. Do some research about it befor you start worrying about it. The stress will be worse than the cholesterol and do a lot of research before starting the statins, I am pretty sure they're a bad idea.

W

Anonymous said...

You could of course ignore the comments from unqualified amateurs and consider the advice from qualified professionals employed but the excelent NHS.

Anonymous said...

I shall do some research - any good sites to help?
I wonder if my anti-virus pills for my toe nail are affecting it.
m/g

William said...

Look here for peer reviewed academic papers: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/index.html

Its up to everyone to make their own decisions, but to blindly take drugs for which there is little or no beneficial evidence is perhaps short sighted. Make your own decisions, I just thought I'd share what I have learned. ( or not learned as you may prefer to think)

William said...

I think this is a good starting place http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Does-Cholesterol-Cause-Heart-Disease-Myth.html

Anonymous said...

Just seen you on 'Flog It', on iplayer.You certainly looked 'in the pink' on that day!!