Wednesday 15 August 2007

Abducted by aliens on/off the A14!



Elevenses on Tuesday in Horseheath, Cambs, with cousin John Rex, Followed by lunch at The Dog & Doublet, a meander around Saffron Walden, a visit to 15th century Priory barn in Widdington, courtesy of English Heritage & a tootle around the byways of rural Essex.
This was excellent & could only have been improved by a closer reading of the handbook to note that the barn was only open for internal inspection on Sat & Sun.
Problems only arose on the way home; I coped admirably with the first long diversion off the A14, following yellow circles.
I did the same at diversion 2 & found myself going down the A14 in the wrong direction!
Retracing my "steps" I diverted again, took the only alternative & got lost.
It was dark & raining hard; the rest of the world were heading home & I didn't even know where I was. Radio 4 could offer only thoughts on puberty followed by duff toys from China.
At least this was incentive enough to find out how to work the CD player & sing along with Rod Stewart, to keep my spirits up.
As all seemed lost I saw a sign to Lutterworth (Dad went everywhere via Lutterworth, or so it seemed)
He must have been looking over me.
Home via M1, M69,M6, in 3 hours instead of the usual <2>

7 comments:

Gill said...

Yes. I've done it!!!!
I can't edit out the error or move the pics, but what the heck!
g

Anonymous said...

You were home in time for elevenses, so all okay. Glad you had a good day. W and I are going out tomorrow night without J - very exciting. We might even go to the cinema.
MK

Anonymous said...

Is this the Peterborough Triangle ? I do recall you circling that area once with dad and I as passengers,& when we finally arrived back at square one, you stalwartly insisted that the route we should take was the same wrong direction we had just returned from. Has your new car got gps ? jen

Anonymous said...

I think that you may be right about "the Peterborough Triangle"
I don't know what gps is.
It may have it.
I'll check that out after the CD player.
g

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately MK elevenes is not the plural of eleven. The quaint Brits only have one elevenses and it is a.m. - just late enough to take the edge of one's hunger after the full heart attack breakfast and spoil lunch!

William said...

Elevenses = morgenkaffe
Weel done at getting so lost, it takes a certain skill to get lost at every opportunity

Anonymous said...

I know about elevenses, only because some awful chocolates - and g was home in time for the next elevenses next day, as far as I gather from the posting time (which thank god is in 24 hours and not this imperial am, pm business).
MK