Monday 20 February 2012

Livigno.

A lovely week away with W, MK, J & DK, T & B (MK's parents)
All of my travel arrangements had been made  by W with T & B - I flew to Frankfurt early on Saturday am & was met by T & B at arrivals.
We then drove through Germany, Austria & Switzerland, to N Italy - snow all the way.
Lots of tunnels to go through in the Alps, with deep snow up to the car roof in between.
The last bit is through a one way tunnel into Livigno, a very pretty town  in the valley.

This was my first skiing holiday.
I've never been good on slippery surfaces & have pretty big feet without elongating them further, so I'm sure that skiing isn't for me - now that I'm the wrong side of 40, I suspect that my bones may not be as flexible as they once were.
Right, no skiing then.

The temperature dropped to - 18 on day one then gradually warmed up during the week.
I'd bought M&S thermal vests, like long sleeve t shirts,which I wore over a vest & under a cashmere sweater  (so no-one would mistake me for a skier!) & a vintage down jacket.
I then wore long woolly tights under padded trousers, thick socks & my wonderful ECCO/gortex boots, bought to cope with Denmark six or seven years ago.
On the very cold days only my toes & fingers got cold.

All of the family are great skiers - even little DK can manage the nursery slope, hands on knees, with great aplomb.
J went to Ski school every day for two hours, winning the "slalom ski-off" on Friday  by over 10 seconds.
We had lovely lunches everyday as a break from the slopes, & local bread, ham & cheese in the evenings, washed down with excellent Italian wine..
Scrummy!

Home late on Saturday, lazy Sunday, tennis this morning, then lazy again as G had lit a fire.
The decorator is doing the spare room, doing a grand job 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wrong side of ---ty!

William said...

We're glad you had a good time and it was nice to see you.
It was unusually cold, but now you're prepared for the worst mountain weather.