Sunday 27 January 2013

Bubble & squeek

What else do you do with left over brocolli & potato? The Burn's Night celebration was a great success - we seated 27 people around a long dining table, going across two rooms & all went according to plan, starting with the Selkirk grace, ending nearly six hours later, when the last guests left. The food was great - even that made by me! I recommend The Hairy bikers haggis sauce (cream whisky, mustards, lemon & chives)& james Martin's salmon pate & tipsy laird. Anyway, all is back to normal, the house gleaming - a good chance to clean the corners when furniture has had to be moved, to clean the fridge when you have a lot of food to store & to clean the saucepan shelf/scour all of the pans, when they've all been used. More than a few wee drams were cosumed, we had a great raffle, with donatd prizes & we made a profit of £440. As I picked up my shoes to go to bed at 2.00am I noyed that they were not matching - one slingback with cloth front, one shoe with patent front. Did anyone notice or were they dazzled by my kilt, white silk shirt & sash or even G's full highland dress? I did change in a hurry & had put two pairs of shoes out to decide later - we are considering making odd shoes a requisite next year. Two accolades - *my Hunter wellies, a present from W & MK a while ago are brilliant! They are so soft & comfortable, a race apart from my green Dunlop boots which make any movement unpleasant. *New Zealand sauvignon blanc. Waitrose have fairy dishwasher tabs, 51 for £6.95, which is even cheaper than the packs of 28. The snow has gone apart from a pile full of gravel on the drive - 3 degrees at 6.00am this morning but the chickens are still hibernating/not laying. They may be traumatised!

No comments: