Tuesday 3 February 2009

Whoops, forgot to blog.

I really thought that I'd blogged yesterday. I composed it in my mind but obviously didn't get any further.
Shucks!
Anyway, yesterday, it snowed:

Jessie built a rather fine snowman whilst A looked on! (photo courtesy of P)

We had porridge for breakfast & then phoned the family to see how they were faring in the snow.
Guildford had snow half way up the car wheels. We only had a couple of inches - snowed in!

Even BMWs in Guildford were snowed in! (Photo courtesy of N)
((apparently this is N's Ford, so G tells me))


Our car wasn't exactly snowed in, but it did look clean!



The snow was still there at bed-time.

We put food & warm water out & then watched a variety of birds visit the drive for the seeds & the pyracantha berries -a spotted woodpecker, blackbirds, mistle thrush, robins, tits, sparrows, finches........


We then enjoyed a nice cosy day in. G sorted two bin liners of waste paperwork from the kitchen bureau & cupboards & filed the remainder (some to post to US)
I made soup, cleaned , polished, washed & ironed.
We settled down early in front of a big fire, ate pasta & fell asleep.
That doesn't sound a lot for a whole day. I've just remembered that we actually had a late breakfast in our dressing gowns, then I had a facepack & a long soak in the bath, while finishing my novel. (Wilbur Smith - "River Gods". A brilliant story set in Egypt in 2500BC)
This took until lunchtime.
We had lunch at tea-time.

Today the sun is shining, G is sorting out the study ready ready for decorating, I may have to go shopping for milk & firelighters.
It's a tough life.


This is my corner of the study.
This is my desk that was my Grandfather's, then my Father's. The opposite corner has G's Father's desk which is much more ornate.
This one has to go to make room for the lovely new bed settee & make the room more useful when we decorate.
It is beautiful solid oak, darkened with age.
Does anyone in the family want to give it a good home or shall we sell it?
(I really thought that G would move the junk before he took the photo!)


We are not getting rid of the dining room fireplace - we did have a fire in there the other day - the first time for a number of years. It got really warm! I note that the "Cornfield frog" even turned round to have a look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this what retirement is all about ? Forgetting not begetting, tidying rather than TGIF- ing ?

Anonymous said...

Yes.
We want to downsize by getting rid of some things as we realize that somebody will, some day.
No takers on Grandad's desk, yet.
g